Museum Lilies: Part 3
Part 3 is a continuation of the Museum Lilies blog posts from the Aiken County Historical Museum. To see works from or read The Artist’s Story for Part 2, click here.
In my mind’s eye, the design that the stamen in my Team Spirit piece formed reminded me of the “We’re #1” foam fingers often seen at sporting events. My artistic vision was to create another naturally abstract image with that exact look by composing at two times life-size while ensuring that the top anther stayed far above the others – like an index finger does when holding it up. To enhance the effect, I used an angle that kept most of the fingers in the hotter colors from the flower’s center and only the first finger is allowed to rise above that area and extend up into the cooler colored area of the background. This daylily is the same flower I used for my Starburst Red artwork (you can read the blog post for that in Part 2 by following the link above). Though the zone of sharpness is quite small, surface textures can be seen.
So, I decided to try something really different for my On The Inside piece. I specifically wanted to create another naturally abstract composition, and to do that, I basically went deep inside one of the Starburst Red daylilies. I had to find one that would let me put the focal point that far down into it which meant that it needed to be open in a way that I could. Creating this was fun, and I was quite happy upon viewing the initial attempt on my camera’s Live View with the Depth Of Field preview activated. Much of the flower has been transformed into simple colors and what remained is within or close to the zone of sharpness. There may be a scientific name for the location within a flower where the filaments connect to it, but I certainly don’t have that knowledge. At any rate, that’s essentially what this is. I believe that the yellow tube-like structures are filaments and perhaps the stigma. I didn’t purposefully try to use the rule of thirds when composing this, but the leftmost one third line fell very close to where the top two filaments come together.
Similar to my On The Inside composition, the flower I used for Internal also allowed the focal point to be deep within it. The filament connection point is a little more defined and some striation in the left-hand side petal is also evident. However, the two could almost be bookends since the filaments sweep in opposite directions. The rightmost one third line is very close to where the top two filaments are attached here as well, though, once again, I didn’t force it into the frame at that location (it just happened to lay that way after placing it in an aesthetically pleasing position). I’m not sure how many other types of flowers this new technique would work with, but I like the result and feel that it has added another option to my toolbox.